<--DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Rising Like A Trout: That is so gay.

Friday, May 21, 2004

That is so gay.

My place of work is not a bastion of liberalism, by any means. To illustrate this, I will recount for you a moment from today's lunchroom that happened not 30 minutes ago.

We were watching the local news and a story about the gay marriages San Francisco is performing came on. We all watched it in silence, until a woman I work with said:

"Last night we were watching the 11 o'clock news and they were talking about this when they showed couples, uh, kissing. Now, I know it was 11 at night and this is the news, but they don't need to be showing that."
OK, I'm not saying you have to get turned on by the sight of same-sex kissing (unless the members of the same sex happen to be Kate Beckingsale and Rachel Weisz, in which case you are fucking REQUIRED to get turned on), but comments like this make me angry. What if I had been gay? How does she know I'm not? In fact, to make a point, as soon as she uttered that ridiculous sentence, I turned to the balding man sitting to my right and open-mouthed kissed him during the entire commercial break. (We have a date this Friday.)

Does the fact that I did not actually do that make my argument less valid? Do I even have an argument? The answer is no. She just pissed me off a bit, and in the interest of keeping my job, I chose the online route for venting, much to your chagrin.