<--DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Rising Like A Trout: There are times I am doubtful

Friday, May 21, 2004

There are times I am doubtful

I am a technical writer for a credit union, and Holy Jesus, can it get boring. Sometimes as I���m typing away about marketing procedures or whatever, my mind begins to rebel against the soul-crushing monotony. This is a typical result:

���Once the list has been compiled, it is forwarded to the Webmaster for insertion into Accucast. Depending on the campaign, e-mails are scheduled to be sent at a certain date, or are sent immediately, like foxes. Because of the wily nature of the fox, the emails must be monitored closely, especially when the recipient is a chicken. In this case, the email must be flagged as ���highly foxy��� and forwarded to the hound dog.���

I���ll give you a minute to recover from the fits of laughter������������.You done? OK, I���m not saying the above is genius, or even slightly amusing to anyone not inhabiting my body, so I include it here for purely informational purposes. If you use this information in relation to an illegal activity, I cannot be held responsible.

Another pathetic tactic I use to fool my brain into thinking it is being used is to write ���funny��� titles for boring documents. Most often, I use the following formula:

(black slang) + (technical jargon) = funny

For instance, if I���m writing a procedural document outlining intranet protocol, I may title the section dealing with uploading interest rates as ���The 411 on the FTPizzle.��� This has a twofold effect: 1) It makes me (and pretty much no one else) laugh, and; 2) it helps legitimize ebonics in the workplace. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately), the Senior VP does not watch Snoop Dizzle TeleVizzle. In fact, it is highly unlikely he has ever heard of Snoop Dogg in either the ���Doggy Dog��� or the ���Dogg��� incarnations. Oh, the laughs he���s missing.