<--DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"> Rising Like A Trout

Friday, May 21, 2004

Being a normal type person, I���ve done a lot of stupid shit in my life, the usual stupid shit involving alcohol, drugs, sex, music, driving, etc. Blogcloggers that I promise never to dissect out of a misguided assumption that a) they are worth dissecting and b) I have half the talent to make them interesting (see Eurotrash, who absolutely crushes every other blogger with her wit, for that). No, the reason I mention this is that my dad had his high school friend over for dinner a while back, and after a few drinks, they began reminiscing about the ���wild and crazy��� shit they pulled back in the day. As I was listening, all I could think was, ���How cute.��� Cruising, sneaking ���cans of beer��� on to senior trips, covering houses with toilet paper, I mean, positively wholesome stuff.

I then projected a few decades in the future, when my son will be in his 30���s and I would have my graying friends over. Would we reminisce about the time we huffed rails of speed while driving to LA, or the time we took turns driving on acid, or many of the other drug/automobile experiences we engaged in? Are youthful antics generational?